I’m super excited to have as my guest today Matt Sams from the band Somnistatic.
- Matt and I first met about 15 years ago at an open mic in Crystal Lake, IL. We played in the first version of Matt’s ongoing musical project, Somnistatic, as a real-life band but due to the usual life circumstances, the band members had to go their separate ways.
- Matt talked about what he did musically after the original version of the band broke up, and then we discussed how we started working together again thru the Internet.
- I asked Matt to explain how he came up with the same “Somnistatic,” which lead to a discussion of different band names we had before settling on this one.
- Matt has been playing some live shows around the Chicago area. Some as a solo act, and some as a band. You can see a lot of videos of Matt’s performances on the Somnistatic YouTube page.
- Matt recently played at Madame Zuxu’s, a teahouse owned by Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins. Matt is a huge fan of the Pumpkins and he got to interact a little with Billy during his time at Zuzu’s. Including this video of Billy playing a Beatles song on piano:
Then, Billy took a picture of Matt while he played this song:
And Billy even sang along a little bit with Matt on this one:
- I asked Matt why he’s covered more George Harrison songs than the songs of the other Beatles. Like this one:
- We had a discussion about The Who, a band Matt and I both love. Then, we talked about a new album Matt’s putting together as well as a special “Matt Strat” guitar he is designing.
- Our song of the day for today is a piece Matt composed called “Lie.” Matt wrote the song as part of a soundtrack he’s doing for a short film.
- I asked Matt how it is that this video from his YouTube channel has over 27,000 views:
- You can purchase the Somnistatic album In The Heart Of The Sun thru the band’s Bandcamp page for $5.00. But Matt has a special offer for listeners of the podcast! e-Mail him at rarndgo(at)gmail(dot)com and he’ll respond with a code that’ll let you download the album for free.
- Matt made us this piece of artwork in response to our first newsletter:
We love feedback! So why not leave a comment below? Or e-mail us at info(at)nomarket(dot)org? If you like to subscribe to things, then you can subscribe to the podcast here. If you like tweets, then you can follow No Market here.
Click the play button below to get Somnistaticized right now!